Wednesday 13 March 2013

New Pope Elected to the Throne of St Peter

The Vatican has announced that a new Pope has been elected to the throne of St Peter. The Papal Conclave has voted Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the 266th Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church.

Cardinal Bergoglio has chosen his Papal name and henceforth to be known as Pope Francis I. Pope Francis I is from Argentina he was born on the 17th of December 1936 in Buenos Aires. Pope Francis I was ordained a priest in 1969.He climbed the ranks within the Catholic Church to become Archbishop of Buenos Aires in 1998. In 2001 he was made a Cardinal by Pope John Paul II.

Pope Francis I is the first Latin American Pope. Pope Francis I is also the first Pope who is a member of the Society of Jesus commonly known as Jesuits, a religious order previously persecuted by the Catholic Church.

With the election of Pope Francis I hope the Catholic Church can face the important issues such as Child Sex Abuse within the Church, Homosexuality, Abortion, use of contraception and ordaining of Female Priests.

No comments:

Post a Comment